Skip to main content

St. Blasius parish church

Ein stilisiertes Mammut mit dem Text Visit Balve daneben

The parish church of St. Blasius is a stately and impressive Romanesque hall church from the 13th century with frescoes (around 1250). Neo-Romanesque style extension at the beginning of the 20th century.

The parish was first mentioned in the 12th century. The three-bay Romanesque hall church has a transept which, together with the choir, dates back to the 12th century. The nave and west tower date back to the 13th century. In 1910/11, the plans for the extension of St. Blasius parish church with its huge oval octagonal dome were drawn up by Prof. Dr. Joseph Buchkremer from Aachen. In 1914, important wall paintings were discovered under three layers of paint in the apse. The oldest paintings are believed to date back to the mid-13th century. In the apse we see Christ as Judge of the World with saints and apostles, in the side apse a frieze with scenes from the legend of St. Nicholas. A special feature of the exterior is the transverse gable roofs above the side aisles. One side aisle portal shows the typical Westphalian three-field motif in the tympanum (Nativity, Crucifixion and Women at the Tomb). The tympanum of the tower portal shows the motif of the Ascension of Christ.

Address & Contact

St. Blasius Parish
Kirchplatz 4
58802 Balve

Tel.: 02375 938739
E-mail: st.blasius@pv-balve-hoennetal.de

www.pv-balve-hoennetal.de

Church services & events

All information on the times of church services and other events can be found here:

To the services

Opening hours

The parish church is open to visitors from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm.

Guided tours

You can request guided tours via the Balve town center office (innenstadtbuero@balve.de).

Write an e-mail now